Re: Do cities (tribes, countries....) have runes?

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_A3XHqtr7SjUzlnI5MpX8-AxxzYTrk0j1srF9yboPMIpcaCPS8vj7ZyQFKD1JFd>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:20:55 -0700

When you say a city "has a rune", what do you mean? Generally a city is a community. Would a clan have a rune? A Tribe? A Nation? Or are you characterizing the culture, the "average" inhabitant, or a special feature of this community?

It is also a place. Does a hill have a rune? A ridge of mountains? Maniria? What if it was built by people, such as city walls, a temple, a clanhouse, a farm or a hovel? Do these have runes?

For instance, the city Alkoth has a patron deity, who obviously has runic associations. But the people inside (both living and otherwise; this is Alkoth after all...) are members of the Dara Happa culture and likely initiates in the worship of Shargash. For men, anyway.

Also, when you "have" a rune, to me, this means that you are capable of expressing that runic association as magic of some kind. Since a city does not have one will, I'm not sure how it would make the conscientious act that expresses this rune. An Orlanthi flies, an Chalana Arroy heals, a Law Speaker knows. What does a city "do"?

If this "rune" is meant to describe the character of the city and the inhabitants as a shortcut to a larger description, that fits one use of the runes, but generally runes mean supernatural traits to me, which a city as a whole would not possess (although it's wyter, patron god, protective demon, whatever may possess and express these traits).

--Todd