Re: Do cities (tribes, countries....) have runes?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_8iWGAive1BTpN1SncdRXXZA2rnrCZpApujkVGzorgdbibqzE4LCdn3YlSmoLoIh0hbG>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:40:31 +1300

Todd Gardiner wrote:
> When you say a city "has a rune", what do you mean?

When you look at a community with magical vision, what do you see? Would a Dara Happan City appear different from a Sartarite City?

> Generally a city is a community. Would a clan have a rune? A Tribe? A
> Nation?

My own personal opinion is that clans are too small to have runic presences in their own right. Tribes generally would have a single rune and so on.

> It is also a place. Does a hill have a rune? A ridge of mountains?

Individual places do have runes. Mount Kerofin for example.

> Also, when you "have" a rune, to me, this means that you are capable of
> expressing that runic association as magic of some kind. Since a city does
> not have one will, I'm not sure how it would make the conscientious act that
> expresses this rune. An Orlanthi flies, an Chalana Arroy heals, a Law
> Speaker knows. What does a city "do"?

Runes do not need to be actively expressed to make their presence felt.

--Peter Metcalfe