Re: Dawn Age Waertagi motivations

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_qNFCfOKAhKSaGxYlnlQczTw5rovmLfM-x-RvOihUhRYGX1lkfn2J_Oq2SYzX_ebDc>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 06:08:05 -0800

YGWV Peter's answer is excellent.
Furthermore, I will supply a few of the things that I know.

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 7:52 PM, arun <keithnellist_at_Jf-7B-UKTRmVo1IxA5FfUbMOOraoXGHqjUR3qBvLXEILyJK0L_CMm6Jz0ckyg5vR_MHvFCRAvRay5JsakWcAiw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand what motivated the Waertagi to move humans around
> the lozenge and plant them in other parts of Glorantha - the Slontans and
> Seshnegi moved to Jrustela, the Brithini exiles to Fronela and Seshnela.

The traditions of Brithini exile is old.

Pre- or early-Ice Age migrations from Brithos across the Neleom occurred several times,perhaps even frequently.
See http://www.glorantha.com/new/mythmapwestern3.html and http://www.glorantha.com/new/images/D4L_V2.JPG to get an idea of the world then. Colonies--"exiles" is a better word sometimes--went in all directions, including many that are known only by their name in some old manuscripts; some that are known to be destroyed; and some whose fates are simply unknown, though presumed destroyed.

The reason for the exile of these early groups is always because they did not conform to one or another of the Brithini standards, and were a danger to polluting the entire community. They always left voluntarily. The precise reasons for their exile are not always known, and do not always make sense when they do. (What are we to make of "Senarumasvalktor took away his community so they could pick up certain sea shells with their left hands." ?)

The Waetagi were among the Brithini in those days, descended from Waertag who is a son of Malkion. They cooperated in every way with the Brithini, and were integrated into their ways. The Brithini never went to sea--the Talars who did were sealed into immense crated rooms, "a piece of home," that were transported intact to foreign lands. They never came out while the room was not on land.

When the Brithini ended the Ice Age, that was the situation.

Were they doing it for payment

Yes, but not in the usiness sense. They were part of a network, a system of Brithini ways that crossed the worlds. The Waertagi were the seagoing part.

or because the had obligations to the Brithini,

Yes, but less "obligations" than simply "the way it is."

or because they wanted/needed land based allies to supply them with things
> from the land that the sea couldn't supply?

True Waertagi live 100% from the sea. Like all water-borne things, they view the Dry only as a place from which food comes. Not necessary food, exotic food. A prevalent stream of Waertagi thought is that if they go onto land (or go onto land "too much") then they will become an exotic--therefore desirable--food for the Deep. So the "traditonals" stay at sea.

In the early Dawn Age the Waertagi, as part of the Brithini network, transferred a large population of Brithini out of the homeland and to foreign lands. Again, for threatening the larger community's stability.

One migration, during the Gbaji wars, were officially exiled "for indulging in the pagan habit of smoking." This included a fair number of the newest generation, just bred, and our good friend Arkat, who is really the cause, no matter how much "fumigatory indulgences" had spread among the newbies.

So they did it because they were Waertagi, it is what Malkion said to do, before he'd corrupted himself with whatever cause changed him.

This continued until the Waertagi were abruptly destroyed at the Battle of Burning Sea, or Tanian's Victory.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer