Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_n5UxeBxJHTGZAZ8fm2ekrLmOqYkImDz7UN7jcRmu5Fjn0Nm5FbB8HCS9OaqVig>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:21:40 -0800

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_uFMMC6n9KvLK2fg6obrfIq50Ehd8Ia29VTTH5BJ0VqE6x6nzKtlwCWQOl3n2XMy3MMiXmMVb-RnWYIyWHS9BdREcJwk.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> 1) the quality of the life-flame itself. This tells others what sort of
> persons you are (ie is there an unresolved taint of murder on your
> life-flame?) but it is blind to historical details.

But this may often be enough for a decision on "sending you back to relearn".

> 2) the text of the flame-poem. This has the historical details but is
> little more than a poetic account of your lives written in Teshnan upon
> your soul. It is about as reliable as Orlanthi boasting for historical
> accuracy.
>
> Which is why I phrased it as "Crimes and Accomplishments". Those things
that cause other people to sing your praises or curse your involvement in their lives. And, unless crime is common, being known for a crime against others is very noteworthy, I would think.

> > And then your property (if you have any) is held by the "victim" of your
> > crime.
>
> Don't think in terms of monetary compensation for past wrongs but rather
> having the bad things you have done returned to you.

I was actually thinking of the possible gains from holding property as an incentive to keep it in good condition until the owner of the life-flame came to retrieve it again. After all, someone has to be responsible for your cattle when you die.