Re: Brithini abstinence

From: hcarteau_at_OkpAJP3zlRbvUt1O33Da2pufCZEMHOPhpCLtB_RAVviVla_E-UJuukXK8_q6NaLm-F9
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:16:52 +0200

Selon Ian <ilikemonkeys.geo_at_1OlLiSPumeoEvoD9rMPT5sZycUUzJupp69phJ-OpM1givtxfYaUOEZdWBzV_qgWjIjfkUnm0VT7-GYN03Egtb4I.yahoo.invalid>:

> Hunger, thirst, and sleep are all Errors introduced to the Cosmos in the
> Disintegration Era, and should be resisted as much as possible.

/// Ah, interesting. You think they didn't eat or sleep in the Fourth Action in Glorious Danmamastan ? I'd disagree - Logic dictates that any organism needs fuel to function, and must not be overly sollicitated, so rest and food are acceptable, Logical desires. What's not is that Pleasure can be derived from them.

So Brithos and Arolanity are lands of ascetes, who try and night to overcome their base desires. So as not to face unneeded temptations, their food is as bland as possible (some porridge mush), they drink only water, and they sleep on stiff boards.

They might also not have much, if any, privacy : this need is also fought off. I see the dronari and horali living in grey barracks, with the talari slightly better off and the zzaburi having vast quarters where they can meditate in a quiet surrounding. But still grey and dull.

Brithin who have a taste of Pleasure, i.e. when they eat good, tasty food as an envoy at some foreign potentate's table, can realize (brutally or over time, a little like Illumination), what they're missing and "go native". Perhaps that's what happened to Hrestol and Arkat in a way.