Re: The Paps

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_-sWLoE757ZlsO8NZO5EKE6AtMWRUoOKwIkqWZUeHJ90KBgbI9cn-CDwvVmGG>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 13:44:49 +0100 (BST)

Why is it okay for bloodthirsty axe murder to be a suitable job for a woman in Dragon Pass and Kethaela, but not in Prax?

For my part I am happy for the scary women with big axes standing guard over the Paps to be called the Axe Sisters. I am less clear whether the 'Axe Sisters' should/could be a local name for a Babeester Gor cult, with a greater emphasis on guarding holy places than seeking blood vengeance and cutting bits off, or whether it should be a totally different local Earth cult which performs a social function (guarding Earth temples) that Babeester Gor cultists might perform in other regions.

Hopefully correctly, I seem to recall Jeff saying many months ago in another context that at least some Heortlings knew who Eiritha was (and that she was related to Ernalda), even though Heortlings didn't worship her. What is the point -- they don't keep domesticated Eirithan beasts?

At the Paps at least, is  it possible that the priestesses or Eiritha know of Ernalda even if they don't worship her? If, as in Cults of Prax, the Paps is a remnant of a wider Earth religion which once included Ernalda as well as the spirits of the Waha/Eiritha tradition,  then  is it entirely fanciful that Babeester Gor cultists guard it?
 However if the Paps is all about Eiritha and there is no Ernalda connection, it makes sense for the Axe Sisters to have nothing to do with Babeester Gor. Assuming that Babeester Gor still provides temple guards to Earth temples in other regions-- if her cult doesn't, who does?

Incidentally who provided temple security at the Paps in the Cults of Prax account? (Funnily enough I don't have a copy of Cults of Prax in the office)

The minor Praxian cults/spirit cults referred to below do sound interesting though -- where can one find out more about these? Though I'm not sure if all of these (e.g. Oakfed) are obvious alternatives for female characters

Richard Hayes