Re: The Paps

From: David Cake <dave_at_tOy1LgVhRKc5eBXIkuBdC-H3t_WP7of4G3A3_CR9__1n3efpFDLRA7aj5hcyMJPrn6T64cb>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 13:45:23 +0800

At 4:53 AM +0000 4/5/11, Jeff wrote:
> > > When the cult was written up for RQ3, the
>> restrictions on the love life of Maran Gor cultists were documented,
>> but no such restrictions mentioned for BG.
>>
>> Her entry in the Porsopaedia, though, is quit frightening. "Once
>>she slew so many defenseless inhabitants of Healing Valley that she
>>waded breast-deep in gore, drinking the blood of victory and
>>slaughter."
>>
>> I think she's been portrayed as an extreme deity for some time now.
>
>I agree. I've got even older material from Greg which was used in
>Sartar Companion which portrays her just as being just as extreme.
>
>As for Babeester Gor, Humakt, or Urox being unplayable - that's just bizarre.

        I don't think Urox or Humakt are unplayable. No one has ever said they were unplayable, that looks like a rather obvious straw man, though Trotsky did say Humakt is less playable than previously, but that isn't the same unplayable (and FWIW, I agree there too, I think there is a shift in emphasis there, but I'll put that in a separate message).

        Only Babeester Gor, of the three, has profoundly changed between RQ and HW material. And only BG is being argued as profoundly less playable.

        Which isn't to say you actually can't play them - I just just really it hard to do so in an enjoyable way while playing them strictly as written. But of course YMMV, and some people will enjoy it. There are entire role playing games more or less dedicated to playing killing machines with zero emotional depth, which is more less what the BG write up constrains them to be. Some people will enjoy that, I am not one of them.

	Cheers
		David