Re: Founders as Wyter

From: donald_at_OPvoQpXJnKIi9iZ4upKJxC3_-M6J-jU7e45Z7wpNAOQrmHgcLHx6QpnoAZhcxJuvWdSrr
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:55:00 +0100

> I sort of wonder about the procedure. Certainly a founder of a community has closer ties to it than some
> deity found along the road west and convinced to act as the wyter, but what happens to the displaced
> deity? Does it get some sort of pension worship as one among many protective deities of the place/community?
> Does the transition affect the community's magic, internal peace, etc.? If so, is there an initial deterioration
> of the community's magic?

I don't think there is a procedure for changing the community's wyter. I think it just happens usually over a period of time. Individuals transfer their support from one wyter to another that they find more useful. In that situation the old wyter probably continues as an additional wyter for part of the community unless it's magic is completely useless in the changed circumstances.

An alternative is conquest when a wyter is forceably replaced. Then the old wyter could be destroyed or alternatively becomes the wyter of a band of rebels. The Lunars also appear to be able to convert wyters and absorb them into the Lunar Way.

Sartar is a special case in that he created the principality out of nothing but an assortment of feuding tribes. He probably had a wyter which helped him on the way but that may have been absorbed into him on his apothoesis. Alternatively it is some largely forgotten being which acts as a helper to the House of Sartar.

--
Donald Oddy