Re: HeroQuest Questions (I'm sure there is apun inthere somewhere)

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_pQj_3blyDMUUPUiDmxX_3hG193Q4dlqglRKD5x-s-7qGA7wv-iiDsrOcX>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:18:38 -0000

I believe we have seen a couple of examples of this over time

I don't think this matters if you are doing this world or other side, in both cases I think the quester decides what form it will take.

One issue with the other side version though is: how to the PCs know, that they were really facing up against their neighbors who weere on their own quest. Well one way is they hear about it afterwards; hey did you hear that the other clan tried to do the Quest to Steal the Tin Fleece, but it failed and so and so got badly beaten in a heroquest challenge and lost loads of his air magic. The other is the notion of a 'face dancer' that is someone who always tends to get drawn in to your quests, by symmetry and you begin to recognize through the mask of the gods that they wear. It's like your ability to recognize an old friend in a costume or disguise. Something about their mannerisms seems to shine through

> The other (lesser and more mechanical) problem is with deliberately failing stations on a heroquest. Assuming a band of PC's correctly identify a station as 'Orlanth was beaten up by Kygor Liter', how would you actually play this in a way that was fun for the players?

I think these kind of stations are best seen as choices over contests: what are you prepared to sacrifice to get your goal.