Re: HeroQuest Questions and a diversion about Morokanth

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_wRrh_4_CpNJUqP-6XDTFTz52D4YcLQSTmDc-cLUAdlQub-YxvmY_fh2l01ur>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 12:12:24 +0100 (BST)

There is another famous example of a "This World" Heroquest in the travels of Biturian Varosh (Cults of Prax), in which Biturian's caravan is attacked by a gang of Zorak Zoran worshipping trolls, and he is saved by a passing Yelmalian Rune Lord (Rurik) and his retinue. Biturian said that Rurik was obviously on a Heroquest at the time.

To me, this suggests the possibility that a heroquester might come across mundane events (unless the Zorak Zorani were looting the caravan for a higher spiritual purpose?) which coincidentally(?) serve as a station in their quest -- unless Rurik chose to  leave the path of his quest to battle the Zorak Zorani? Also if this little battle was a station in Rurik's quest, was it also part of the quest that Rurik could expect a decent reward for fighting off the Trolls? I am not surprised that Biturian did not consider this question, because what would he know about Yelmalian heroquests?

Are there other incidents in the travels of Biturian Varosh which might correspond to other people's heroquests?	* The Yelmalian ritual Biturian is dragged into (as suggested earlier)
	* The baboon ritual Biturian witnesses in the Daka Fal chapter; and
	* The appearance of the fragment of Genert in the Issaries chapter -- if becoming a desert tracker is an (involunary) Garzeen Heroquest in this world? (It certainly involves a high commitment to emulating one of your god's myths) Alternatively are the Desert Trackers more of a sub-cult than a group of worshippers living out one particular Heroquest? Are the Desert Trackers both things at the same time -- membership of the sub-cult is conferred upon people who attempt the Heroquest	* The Eirithan ritual at the Paps which is interrupted by Trolls and Morokanth
Which side of the (blurred) line between ritual and heroquest do each of these episodes come?

Bit of a non-sequitur I know, but  thinking back to the Eirithan incident in Biturian Varosh I am a bit surprised that the matriarchal Morokanth became involved in an attack on the Holy of Holies of the Eirithan religion, and in concert with allies from outside the Praxian tradition to boot.

Maybe these were Morokanth who worshipped Zorak Zoran?  A significant minority did according to Cults of Prax, though the Book of Drastic Resolutions later suggested that the Morokanth had a violent berserker cult of their own which Trolls perceived as a Morokanth version of Zorak Zoran, the name of which escapes me).

Indeed the possibility did occur to me that this incident based on a view of Morokanth society that is no longer canon (that some Morokanth did worship Zorak Zoran, so might team up with Trolls from the same cult?) Would the story come out differently if it was written in an official source today?

Assuming that there still is a significant minority in Morokanth society (how big is it?) which worships Zorak Zoran/something similar, how does this element relate to the Waha/Eiritha-worshipping rest of Morokanth society? Is it like relations between the Kyger Litor and Zorak Zoran cults? Or is it more like relations between mainstream Waha/Eiritha and the Storm Bull berserkers within the human tribes of Prax?

I for one would be fascinated to know what the real story was on this occasion. Who were the Morokanth invading the Paps, and what were they doing there? By way of an epilogue, what would Morokanth who follow the Way of Waha and Eiritha think of the 'loose cannons' who bring the Morokanth nation into even greater disrepute with the human tribes who follow the Way?

Richard Hayes