Re: In Praise of Writing that Breaks Stereotypes

From: hcarteau_at_3ONXTZtUWaJs5AGtgWS5T4ILwQ0vpzLk6Q3vANTJqsxX_18jssqbRX74B0P8IHfTyKA
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:20:08 +0200 (CEST)

we so often assume that in ancient time they were just like us, aware of personal freedom, individuality, and possessing rights. Most of the time, the people who stepped out were chopped down. It required a Hero to be both inside and outside of society

/// That's what I love most about roleplaying in a world such as Glorantha : leave behind the 21st century western values and be someone else. Someone born in The Only Proper Community Of The World. All other are ignorant, smelly barbarians at best, chaotic baby-eating heretics at work if you know about them at all. There is Only One Way, that of our Ancestors / Gods / whatever. I love most a scenario where such "normal folks" are exposed to Something Else. But it does take some mature players.

Of course, many PCs are merchants, skalds, mercenary warriors or sailors, who have seen other cultures and know people there also have two arms, two legs and do their best to raise their children ; and that their ways of planting wheat looks a lot like Our Own. But that makes them freaks and oddjobs in their own communities.