Re: RE: Gloranthan ?! Linguistics

From: Pomeroi <pomeroi_at_cfeXXy9E6J-Af-LpXcUFip6AhYhcH2wWOO5J_bMHx7UcrSrIL67UiVMDlui6xkCvfkLL>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:40:57 +0200

On 19.08.2011 21:56, hcarteau_at_3K66pO4L4R9l65hSZtgCB8sm4C6SvPDd_oKMDygNROKoklYXaa7Hjk1-8jsGzqbV0GOZ0Mmwkr50yA.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> I wonder how Gloranthan names have changed since the Dawn? For that matter, is Pavis really pronounced the way Pavis would have spoken his name?
>
> /// Interesting. To me (I'm French), it's always been Pah-vis. Never heard it otherwise. I realize I never heard you furriners say it out lout : Pay-vis maybe ? Plus different cultures have different spelling. I remember a malkioni legend mentioning the savage land of Pracks, ruled by the eransachula Genner, etc. I love these possible sources of confusion and discovery.
>
> Also, I remember meeting a GM who said "Lankor Mee" when I said "Lanchor (german hard ch) My". We had an untold contest, to see which way to say it the other players would pick instinctively.

I know by chance (read some interview somewhere, a "Ye Booke of Tentacles" I suppose) that GS had been asked how to pronounce Pavis and he said Pah-vis ("a2 like in GrandPa (second a)... funny, there are not many words in english left an A really sounds like one, it's mostly "ae" like in hat.) Oh, this have GS and Tolkien in common, they knew about spelling. Gandalf is Gah-nd-ahlf, most anglo-speaking folks would need to write Gundulf to pronounce it correctly.

Concerning your other questions (Lankhor..) I happened to have a link to some www site from somebody who had the pronunciation of all god(desse)s at hand - canon or not I don't know. Who-Makt, oo-LEER-ee-ah. Something like that. If you are REALLY interested I will try to find that link, but if I remember correctly it was dead and only to find in the http://wayback.archive.org/web/ machine.

Pomeroi

PS:
Before hitting "send" I googled. It was Nick Brooke and his site to give pronunciation. Start here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060909163148/http://stuff.mit.edu/people/thebeast/RQ/Cults/ but don't expect every link to work.