Re: Noobie Sartar campaign: Need adventure ideas

From: David Cake <dave_at_RmEwLMeCQlkjygl4k3GWBgnr148yTd25ZfcEkxgtS7CY1_rWB8YxBoDnY0vktYyeV6FDyvx>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:07:49 +0800

On 25/11/2011, at 1:09 AM, michaelL wrote:

> Going to start a new campaign in a couple of days and I need some easy adventure ideas. I'm new to Glorantha and know very little.
>
> Here are my players and playing styles
>
> S has created a ranger/loner type character who has some sort of a relationship with trolls. He trades with them in some fashion. He worships Yinkin because of the rangering wild-child abilities. S is a traditional power-gamer. He likes to use the system to his advantage. He's already asking what he can and cannot do. He is also a strong role player.

	A power-gamer playing a Yinkini may find themselves a bit dissatisfied.
	If they want a character that combines the wild loner type with more power-gamer friendly powerful combat abilities, they might want to try Odayla instead.

> M has created a Lhankor Mhy sage who is interested in knowledge. His playing style is strong in storytelling and role playing.

        It is great to have such a character/player. You will want to familiarise your players with a lot of stories and background detail at various points - a great way to do it is to have the Lhankor Mhy explain it to them in his role as keeper of the clans knowledge.

> Z has not created a character as of yet, but he is a strong role player who is assertive and likes to create characters who are different.
>
> I have one more player who has not created a character yet. I don't know much of his style but he has grown up on D&D 3.5. If fact, most of these players have only played D&D.

        It will be much easier to play the Sartar Campaign if at least one player, perhaps two, are Orlanthi. Perhaps more than plain Orlanthi, but Orlanthi. Orlanthi is a complex enough cult that two characters can be very different while still being Orlanthi.

> I have the Sartar book and was planning on running the campaign in the back of the book but I haven't read it yet.

	I really like the Sartar campaign, but if you have players who are very new to Glorantha, I might run a few simple introductory scenarios before starting the full action.
	Note that for the scenario in the Sartar book, not only do you really need an Orlanthi (or close enough) character, but that character will be pretty central to the plot - it really helps to have an active engaged player who will turn up regularly.
	I interspersed the three 'phases' of the plot with other scenarios, just to stop the campaign being too centred on a single character.

	I would recommend reading the whole Sartar book. And getting the Sartar Companion, and reading that too!

> I don't know much about the Lunars but the bad guy(girl) at the end is a Moon priestess. What do I need to know about her?

Not much. She is an arrogant villain for the game, happy to ignore Orlanthi law and custom, and common morality, as long as it serves the mission she has been given by her superiours.

> What are red moon magic spells like?

	You can probably make a Lunar priestess use just about any magic you like and justify it later somehow, as the Lunars have a large complicated pantheon of deities of their own, but typical Lunar magical effects are mind blasting magic such as temporary madness or catatonia (so someone who loses a magical battle with a Lunar magician will typically experience mental consequences rather than physical), reflecting others magic back at them is a common ability, and like Orlanthi they have magic to enhance their own personal combat effectiveness.
	One very important difference is that Lunar magic when cast outside the 'Glow-Line' that marks the magical boundary of the Empire varies depending on the phase of the Moon, which is on a weekly cycle. Sometimes it is likely to be comparitively more powerful than most other equivalent magicians, at other times much weaker. Of course, if the Lunars have chosen the timing (as with the assault on Apple Lane) they will have chosen a time when their magic is powerful.

	Regards

		David