Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: Paul King <paul_at_GLQjGuH7z4R1X0ntgmHtIkDP3scAf35tQFyhxClZCy86yqgxq3_-eNtPyeGTzf9p-vSF-PJ>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:01:24 +0000

On 29 Nov 2011, at 15:35, simon_hibbs2 wrote:

> Ok. I think that in the same vein that accidentally dropping a stone on your father's head is unintentional manslaughter while deliberately doing so is premeditated murder. At some level they're both still patricide though. You're still in big trouble with the gods. Peter's right on this.

Intent is not the issue that I am getting at. My point is the importance of myth. Follow the right mythic pattern and you get the consequence from that myth, not a consequence from some other myth that happens to include similar acts. There must be some reason that kinslaying is more strongly associated with bringing Chaos in Orlanthi cultures than others. And that is not possible if it is just the act itself - there must be something more.

> Not dodgy, distracting and meaningless. You can't construct an argument based on the temporal relationship between things that have no actual meaningful temporal relationship. That aspect of the story is just a side effect of translating the mythic facts into something more easily intelligible to mortal minds.

I think that you are going too far here. The Godtime is not SIMPLY everything mashed together everything happening at once - it's rather more complicated than that. It is possible to travel to both the Green Age and the Storm Age and they are distinct, even if the distinction is not temporal. Myths give us sequences of events. HeroQuests are experienced as sequences of events.

Thus I say that in the Godtime there is a place where Thed is not the Goddess of Rape, just the victim of Ragnaglar's lust.

There is a place in the Godtime where Thed is Goddess of Rape and not yet Chaotic.

If these things were not true, it would not be possible to experience the myths of Thed as HeroQuests (not that I think that many people would want to !)