Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: Paul King <paul_at_C-jx262TSHJt2hhWDYj3s5MFGSs8EUG6TaHoYDLkrNRqHHW8deWpRYiiNMBViWLKnG0LB2S>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:26:26 +0000

On 29 Nov 2011, at 17:09, Richard Hayes wrote:

> Is it Thed's decision to become the Goddess of Rape (and thereby willingly to identify with an act associated with Chaos) which tainted her with Chaos (though that probably was not her intention at the time), or did Thed become the Goddess of Rape first, and choose Chaos by some other act at a 'later date'?

I believe this to be the case. The ritual of the Unholy Trio brought Chaos into Glorantha (at least in THAT myth), and I don't believe that there was a significant Chaos presence in Glorantha "before" then (although Glorantha's defences were already greatly weakened by the Storm Gods, and especially Orlanth's killing of Yelm).

> Indeed if Thed became the Goddess of Rape first and a goddess/great spirit of Chaos later, maybe rape is associated with Chaos now because the Goddess of Rape is also Chaotic, rather than because rape would be Chaotic in any event?

That's pretty much the view I am putting forward. I think that the ritual also involved an act of rape, which might further taint the act with Chaos.