Re: Elder Races

From: boztakang <daniel.mccluskey_at_t8S0WdgVwm-fluZP-lS-GdxvYkPEkpmWnc55-EJFcupK6XaGx1yApGUcPkg>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 21:55:17 -0000

> Would it be standard military procedure to protect the dead? Do trollkin
> sneak in at night and take away or nibble on the battle fallen

In the unlikely event there is anything left over after the proper Uz have gorged themselves, trollkin will eat whatever is left over. Mostly this will be things like boots and armor straps. Nothing works up the appetite like a good battle.

> Do the Trolls think it 'impolite' to do this sort of thing (Barbarian
> culture that they are) as this sort of eating of other sapient beings
> requires a certain level of ritual rather than just "availability".

There are two kinds of people in the world. Uz and Food. Sometimes it is inconvenient or impolitic to eat the food people... but certainly not when they are dead.

You might want some ceremony around killing the captives, but corpses are fair game, so far as the trolls are concerned.

> Is it as I fear, that do trolls consume as they go.

You fear correctly ;-)

> Setting: The fall of Pavis by Gerak Kag.
>

> Situation: After clearing the great walls his warband shatters one of the
> great gates and a 'carpet' (cf Creeping Doom) of trollkin and darkness
> shades enter consuming everything that crosses its path. Dogs, cats, rats,
> bodies. (do troll areas have significantly less rodents than other areas -
> probably balances out with insects).

I would say proportionately fewer rodents... but probably not less overall. Prosperous troll areas will be simply crawling with "vermin" of all sorts, while "hungry" areas will have few or none (they will all have been eaten, along with anything else vaguely organic.)

I imagine life is difficult for rats in troll areas - trolls don't tend to store a lot of grain, and can see better in the darkness than the rats themselves. Rats in the Rubble are probably more active in daytime than they would be in more human-dominated regions.

> Situation: At dawn a completely exhausted Argan Argar Dark Troll bursts in
> on a Party Camping, behind him come a group of pitchfork wielding angry
> Brown Elves. Did this trolls stomach get the better of him??

always!