Re: Hoplite combat styles

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:14:37 -0000

Peter, responding to David:

> > I'd dispute that a bit. The bow is definitely a
> > cult weapon, and a very common one there. Sun County
> > says all their mercenaries are issued with bows in
> > addition to their hand to hand equipment, and their
> > militia have bows too.
>
> The cult writeup says they have bows but throughout the
> book, there's very little sign of archers (or cavalry
> for that matter).

I think the way to marry the two is that bows are the weapons of those who are not able to fight in the phalanx. For example, young men would be stationed in whatever fortifications are closeby, or would be skirmishers, much like in the early republican Roman armies. But think about how things evolve. I see three historical phases:

  1. If the sun domers started out fighting morstly morocanth on land that the other nomads did not want, the value of bow-armed skirmishers was low. Not useless, since you could also use them as scouts.
  2. They would then enter a historical phase where they might be tested by nomads regularly. Remember that the nomads are not out to conquer or exterminate. They are out to raid and loot. So, they are not looking for a stand-up fight. During this phase, bow-armed skirmishers would be useful in making it costly for impala, in particular, to raid. Over time, they earn enough grudging respect that nomads are willing to hire themselves out. (That initial instance would make an interesting short story.)
  3. They would finally enter phase where they regularly have allied nomad support. During this phase, bow-armed youths would be best stationed in whatever fortifications are available, to cover any necessary retreat.

[Much of Peter's point is that the current day really implies a fourth phase: that the nomads start hiring the sun domers as mercenaries. I think that the times that happens are when one tribe is contexting another tribe for overall control of Prax, mainly the Good Place, Better Place, Head Acres, and so on. Having the sun domers on your side is like having a piece of impassable terrain that you can move around the battlefield. Nomad warfare is all about maneuver.]

So, that's why I think we don't see anything other than phalanxes in the board games. Any bow-armed skirmishers they have in the current day stay home.

Also, I dare you to try lugging both (a) a bow and quiver of arrows and (b) a large shield and spear to a battle. Most of the sun domer's military force is in the nature of militia that forms up quickly nomads make incursions. They have to trot off to where the battle is. Would you carry both sets of weapons if you don't need to?

> Which is why Sun County says they hire Praxians.
> Relying on untrustworthy and unreliable allies is standard
> practice for everybody in Prax.

I agree with Peter on this. The only difference for the sun domers is that, if the nomads turn on them, the sun domers can't just run away. But, even then, the consequences are limited through the use of fortification, reinforcement, satiation of plunder, and the like. Although we also know that nomads ruled Sun Dome County for some periods, so the best (er, I mean worst) did happen from time to time.

Chris Lemens