Hoplite combat styles

From: David Cake <dave_at_uTsIV5GQnVVZkUmd_uAvju9MXySn-TTymQJzphEYAbQ20i7Bo_ulgkaw4tPXBjDnpGFR6Kg>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:34:06 +0800

        So, combat history buffs (I am sure there are many of you lurking here), I have questions about combat styles.

        Are Dara Happan Phalanxes are more like Greek hoplites (big shield and 1 H Spear, fighting in a tight shield wall), or like Macedonian Phalangites (smaller shield, 2H spear, less of a tight shield wall but more spear points presented to enemy)?

        On the one hand, the 2H version was historically later on Earth. On the other hand, Dara Happan phalanxes are ancient and Urvairinus is said to have given his troops both a 2H spear and either a pair of javelins or a bow (this set of equipment matches no earthly troops I am aware of, but I'm no expert), and they are depicted as using very long spears plus shields

        It sounds like Daxdarius used (invented) a more traditional hoplite army - stabbing (1H?) spears and large shields, the Dara Happans adopted it.

        This was discussed on the digest some years ago - one suggestion was that the Pelandans (Daxdarius) developed the phalanx (and still use the 1H spear style), the Dara Happans (Urvairainus) improved on it, as a result of their having more experience with/need to fight cavalry.

	It definitely is implied that the Yelmalio cult uses the 2H form (which makes sense, it being a much later development), but is this the only form they use? Sun County etc has them using 2H spear and Hoplite shield - is this plausible, my understanding is the Macdemonian style normally used a smaller shield?
	I also now notice for the first time, only a decade or so late, the illustration pg 46 of Sun Country that is labelled 'Sun Dome Templar outfitted with 2H spear and shield', but clearly depicts that templar wielding his spear one handed.

	How plausible is it that troops trained to fight with one form in a phalanx also fight in the other? Particularly, presumably they are trained to fight both in tight formation on the battlefield, but presumably they are also trained to fight as individuals in other circumstances.

	Last hoplite question- what other weapons would a phalanx member be regularly trained in? I understand sword (shortsword?) was an important part of Greek phalanx combat. Would they be trained in any other weapons? Perhaps they might be trained to fling a javelin peltast style, even if they didn't normally do so in formation, for example? What would they historically have been issued with (Urvairainus apparently issued them with javelins, is this historically plausible or would there be reasons why Dara Happans would even if Greeks didn't?)

	And why, yes, I am thinking about RQ6 combat styles.

	Cheers
		David