Re: Hoplite combat styles

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 23:50:53 +1300

On 1/18/2013 10:34 PM, David Cake wrote:
> Are Dara Happan Phalanxes are more like Greek hoplites (big shield and 1 H Spear, fighting in a tight shield wall), or like Macedonian Phalangites (smaller shield, 2H spear, less of a tight shield wall but more spear points presented to enemy)?

The Sun Dome Templars fight in the Macedonian fashion. The Stonewall Phalanxes are shown fighting in the Hoplite Fashion in Dragon Pass, *but* they may now be fighting in the Macedonian fashion. All other hoplite regiments fight in the Greek fashion.

> This was discussed on the digest some years ago - one suggestion was that the Pelandans (Daxdarius) developed the phalanx (and still use the 1H spear style), the Dara Happans (Urvairainus) improved on it, as a result of their having more experience with/need to fight cavalry.

Urvairinus didn't have any problems with cavalry. What he invented was a disciplined formation - the Sunstand - against the Ram People. The Extra Long Spears came later in the Storm Age, I think but who invented them is unclear. Nobody fights in the Urvarinus equipment anymore.

> Sun County etc has them using 2H spear and Hoplite shield - is this plausible, my understanding is the Macdemonian style normally used a smaller shield?

Sun County gets a few hoplite details wrong.

> How plausible is it that troops trained to fight with one form in a phalanx also fight in the other? Particularly, presumably they are trained to fight both in tight formation on the battlefield, but presumably they are also trained to fight as individuals in other circumstances.
The trouble with changing between the Macedonian and the standard fashion is that the spears are too long. The hoplites would have to resort to swords or pointed wooden sticks which reduces their effectiveness as hoplites a good deal.

--Peter Metcalfe