Re: The opposite of the Moon/Balance Rune ?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:43:29 -0000

I think that cultures disagree about the nature of this rune.

One approach is that it is a condition rune. I think this is probably the Heortling approach. I think it is a fairly common historical event for a culture to claim a special connection to one of the runes. The west lays claim to the law rune; the Heortlings lay claim to the change rune. Since the balance rune looks a lot like the moon, it is pretty natural for people to associate them. So, this deprives the lunars of as special a place int he cosmos as Orlanth, which would be a plus for the Heortlings.

Another approach is the God Learner approach. According to http://moondesignpublications.com/library/corerunes.html, this rune is one of the God Leaners' five movements. Note that there are five of everything: worlds, power-pairs, elements, movements, and forms. This is just too neat to be true, but is perfect for the God Learners.

The final approach is presumably the one that the Lunars use: she is a sixth element. That seems pretty bogus to me, but they could be right.

Here is another alternative. Each of the elements has a potential duality in it: Darkness has cold and shadow.
Water has salt and fresh.
Earth has stone (or dark earth) and dirt (or fertile earth). Sky has fire and light.

The other element is allegedly storm or maybe air. But its place is between the sky and the earth. Storms are things that happen in the atmo-dome. (I nearly said atmosphere, but it's not a sphere!) Likewise, the moon is somethng that happens in that space. Maybe moon and storm are the two dualities of the unnamed thing that takes up the space between the earth and the sky.

It used to be said that storm and moon contended for the middle air. Maybe we should take this literally.

Chris