Re: Sources for Heortling justice.

From: Tim <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 09:58:30 -0000

> The heroes have not been charged yet, but they are suspected of
> having performed a God Learner spell. My guess is that this is a
> capital crime if they are charged and found guilty.

So I guess the next "First Question" is who is going to accuse them? Both the accused and the accusor need to accept the right of the court to pass judgement on them. Members of two clans in the Colymar tribe can seek judgement form the Colymar Chief to settle a dispute between them, but a dispute between a Colymar clan and a Kheldon clan would need to be judged by the prince of Sartar (or, possibly a "neutral" third party if one can be agreed. IIRC there is a scenario in the Sartar Companion that has the PC's seeking to find a suitable judge).

> The Greeting has been performed,

If the accusation comes from outside the clan who have performed the greeting ("THe Host Clan") then the hosts are duty bound to protect them as if they were members of that clan, for as long as they are on clan lands, and do not violate their hospitality.

If the accusation comes from within the clan, then the clan chief is in a tricky position. If they are innocent then justice and hospitality demands that he supports them. If they are guilty he needs to get them out of the clan lands so that hospitality no longer applies - (the equivalent of outlawing a clan member). I don't think he is in a position to pass any other judgement.

> and information that lead to the
> suspicion has come up after the Greeting. They are not suspected of
> having done this right now, at the clans tula,

Again this makes things tricky for the host clan. If they accepted hospitality, then commited the crime, then they (may) have broken hospitality, and the host clan would have no obligation towards them. For crimes that occurred before the greeting was exchanged, it becomes more of a judgement call. If they lied/misrepresented themselves to the host clan then this might negate the duty of hospitality. On th eother hand the Host Clan is not expected to know the detailed history of every visitor, or to pre-judge them on any possible offence before accepting them into the tula.

> but since this is such
> a serious crime (against `everything'?) the priests view it as a
> moral/magical obligation to punish them if they really have performed
> God Learner magic.

Unless and until they obviously break the laws of hospitality the host chief's best bet is to continue to support them - the clan's magic (and reputation) can (and will) suffer if they fail to support guests. If the host clan has a Trickster, he may be able to trick the visitors into violating hospitality, or otherwise driving them away without reflecting badly on the clan (He will probably get beaten, but he would anyway, and if is actions benefit the clan, he will also be rewarded...)