Re: Sorcery not malkioni ?

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:18:59 +0000

On 11 Feb 2013, at 16:35, zonork <zonork_at_...> wrote:

> At the dawn; Genertela was the land of theism Danmalastan that sorcery Pamaltela that animism
> The East is the land of mysticism, divided the islands and orients more Kralora mysticism which is the land of draconism.
> Oceans embody the mutability of four; the underworld is the realm primitive. (The three magic are mixed, the transcendent realm is a kind of refinement of the Sky)
> Of course, the magic won and lost territory, but animism and theism are close and theists or animist cultures have their own origin while all are vaguely malkionis sorcery. Why?
> A cons-example? and I know that there is sorcery in the East, how it related to Malkionis?

I don't think it's as simple as that, when the Spike exploded and the worlds separated, it wasn't clean break. I imagine it as a Venn diagram with the three magic types (spirit, theist & sorcerous overlapping). The centre mix of the three is the rarest and is probably only accessible by travelling to places that predate the Spike exploding. "Pure" forms of magic exist - the main three types, but also overlaps: spirit and theism, theism and sorcery, sorcery and spirit. The overlaps are not always equal either. I don't believe that mysticism is a (separate) magic system, insomuch as those who are practitioners of it aren't interested in the magic it may have as a byproduct. I think within those 6 "types" of magic it's possible to find a mystical path. Look at real world religions round us, most have a tiny mystical part. They are often considered heretical and persecuted, the same goes in Glorantha. Most mysticism in Glorantha is Draconic, and look what happened when it was abused.

I would view the different cultures of Glorantha as having 4 magical aspects that together come to 100%. Few are pure in their magical expression, most are mixtures with varying degrees of 4 aspects.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433