Glorantha - in Civ5

From: Styopa <styopa.junk_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:08:19 -0600

But for anyone that plays Civ5, I've just posted a Civ5 mod that (roughly) starts at 1600.

Search in the Steam Workshop for Glorantha or Genertela.

It's a full map of Genertela, with all the cities from the Genertela book appropriately scaled. Each Civ is given a somewhat-appropriate cultural basis; The Lunars are Rome, Sartar is the Celts. (Note, this is sometimes a little disconcerting in that this is NOT a "total" mod that converts everything - I was just trying to build something fun, so for example the leader interactions with Loskalm will say the leader's name is Gundreken the Fat, but the graphics will show Bismarck since he's the Civ5 leader for the Germans. Argrath looks like Boudicca. The Devil (leader of the Chaos faction) looks a lot like Ghengis Khan.)

Readme/Notes:
Here's a list of the main playable Civs and their cultures in Civ5: Loskalm (German)**
Jonatela (Russian)
Kralorela (China)
Lunar (Rome)**
Esrolia (Austria)
Sartar (Celt)
Seshnela (France)**
Nolos (India)
Pasos (English)
Teshnos (Songhai)
Chaos (Mongolian)(Not playable)
Elf (Iriquois)
Dwarf (Carthaginian)**
Blue Moon Troll (Aztec)
Dagori Trolls (Japanese)
Guhan Trolls (Ethiopian)
Kustria (Sweden)
Naskorion (Greece)
Otkorion (Siam)
Kingdom of War (Hun)
Daran (Persia)
Sentanos (Ottoman)
**are 'medieval' era tech (roughly speaking); most of the others are classical, and the obviously primitive ones are ancient.

No, I'm sorry, the Ducks didn't get a civ. Or a city state.

Yes, some of them are sensible and logical; some not so much. Honestly, I didn't know if the mod engine would bug out if I had 'Swedish' for four different civs and make them all act alike/allied. So it was in that sense easier to simply give them each a distinctly different culture.

Every culture starts with appropriate Techs, and some policies. (I'm nearly certain folks from the GML will pepper me with incorrect assertions, assumptions, and guesses...)

Every location you see on the map starts with Walls. Some (like the Elder Races) with substantially more; assume they're pretty nearly impossible to completely exterminate. None STARTS with units, but all have started with a decent amount of pocket change allowing you to buy one (or more) units at the beginning - or to keep you afloat until those workers can build up the pastures/etc to prevent your cities from starving - nobody starts with improvements. Key in Civ5 is that your cities DO have a basic ability to defend themselves, so zerging (or being zerg'd) is unlikely.

Charg is just a wall of impassable mountains. I contemplated just removing it, but it would radically change the strategic outlook, as it's nearly as likely then that the Lunars would go west as south. I'd also thought about making Carmania a puppet state, but really by 1600 they'd pretty much bought into their role in the Lunar Empire, imo. I'd toyed with the idea of 'gifting' the Lunars the Crimson Bat (in the form of a 'great war bomber' unit) but while in application it would have worked, it was just too anachronistic. Yes, Corflu hardly rates even a "1" size city in Civ, but I wanted it there. I'd had a lot more barbarian encampments scattered across Pent and the Wastes to represent the threat of nomads, etc but the engine bugged when I tried to run it. I'd recommend playing with 'raging barbarians' set.

Resources are just generally scattered, but there are a few placed deliberately - generally horses in civs famed for their cavalry/knights.

I sincerely welcome anyone with mod skills to go further with this; I pretty much ran out of motivation by the time I finished just the map/civ part. I'll certainly support it if people find bugs, but I don't know anything about scripting, and certainly not enough to do some things I'd LOVE to see eventually:
- culturally-appropriate leader screens

In my test playthroughs, I've had by turn 20:
- Dwarfs declare war against Chaos

Ultimately, it's fun to play out the Hero Wars and into the future.

In any case, enjoy.
Questions to styopa1_at_...

-Steve