Re: Sorcery not malkioni ?

From: Glass <glass_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 02:29:41 -0000

[Pique, really, because every time I think we're agreeing, a new door slams. So let's swing this window open wide.]

What is the role of "mysticism" in the Moon Design era, especially as it applies to the East? Let's forget everything we think we know -- all the "vestigial" lore -- and focus on the Guide.

We know that mysticism is still officially considered a fourth "path to magic" (p. 9):

"Mysticism: Also called draconic magic or illumination, this method of conceiving magic involves the search for the Unknowable. Mysticism rejects logic and experience, and uses austerities to sheer away the dull realities which daily and cosmic living accrues upon us. The magic provided is inconsequential and typically of no interest to those who study it."

The first thing that jumps out of this is that mysticism per se is still a transcendental approach. No way around that. Gloranthan mysticism means anywhere out of this world. While it does support some magic, the effects are trivial in inner-worldly terms and still most noteworthy as counter-like powers: "and thereby acquire inner strength that allows the greatest among them to defy any of the gods" (p. 46).

To me, this indicates that showy magic in the Eastern quadrant of the lozenge must derive from other sources, what HQ would call spirits, affinities, spells. That's great. We agree.

The text agrees too. Although "mystics concentrated in the eastern lands, especially Kralorela" (p. 94) and "the vast spiritual empire of eastern Genertela clung to the mystic secrets of the universe as being the most important" (p. 101), the modern East presents what we might call a more syncretic landscape.

While "draconic mystics" (p. 46) that fit the transcendental mold are noteworthy in Kralorela, the Kralori pantheon includes "deities, spirits and essences" (p. 319) that interestingly all appear to operate on a sacrificial (theistic) basis (loc. cit.) The state cult "provides little immediate benefit" (p. 46), even to the exarchs, who theoretically "have great draconic powers, but resist using them since to do so would slow their spiritual progress" (p. 44).

Likewise, in the islands, "thousands of deities co-exist under a blanket of common beliefs. Mysticism is commonly known, but mostly ignored" (p. 343). Vormain remains mysterious as well they should, but "many competing schools of mysticism" are known there alongside the familiar chromatic pantheon, now interestingly classed as "resident spirits or divine beings" (pp. 365-6). Teshnos appears to have always about sacrifice, although at least Zitro Argon appears to have a lot in common with mystic high gods to the north, to whom sacrifice is "mostly useless" (compare pp. 320, 332).

Okay. So we have mysticism that seems to allow, at best, some uh "vestigial" counter-like effects and an East that supports mysticism as the quintessentially "Vithelan" system (again, see p. 101 for the old quadrant theory back in print) but also incorporates sorcerous, theistic and animistic currents for its showy magic. Great. I think we agree and the text agrees with us.

Because the Isles at least are alive with magic and it has to come from somewhere:

"Magic is integral to life. It is used, for instance, to deal with criminals. They are not imprisoned, but receive punishment designed to fit the crime and properly humiliate the criminal. For instance, a swaggering bully might be reduced to the size of a cat for a year" (p. 343).

None of this is new to you, but this very thread demonstrates that at least a few fans still consider the East to be primarily a land of (game-style) mysticism, much as the Agimori steppe is supposedly the land of animism, the Malkioni west is the land of sorcery and central Genertela is the land of priests. I don't know where this comes from. Maybe it's in the Mongoose books. P. 101 doesn't help much.

But if the East is the land of mysticism, then either the East has relatively little overt magic (because its mystics are successfully resisting the temptation to indulge their powers and besides, there is no mystic magic system) or it has magic because its mystics are constantly falling off their path.

The latter route is tantalizingly bizarre and raises all kinds of exciting questions about the sacrificial worship of the antigods, but is probably too esoteric for most modern fans. The former route would both be boring and contradict the Guide. We know the East is crawling with strange and exciting magic.

Or the East says it is about mysticism, pays lip service to mysticism, strives to pursue mysticism tomorrow -- and in the here and now works the same systems as the other three quadrants in order to keep worldly affairs moving. You say this. I agree. The Guide says this. Perhaps it could stand to say so more clearly to clear away the vestiges once and for all.

The gods are worshipped. The gods provide. All their temples contain mystics. And also priests. Mostly priests.

Godunya is worshipped. Godunya is. His temple contains mystics. His priesthood is the empire.