Re: nature of mysticism

From: David Cake <dave_at_9pkTvCFK8MG-jnej_gQcs6OA86BOg_kZcltDBHU5FTos4YefBoPeMr7lA7hEywKjF9nDiKf>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 08:25:58 +0800

On 24/02/2013, at 4:26 PM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_kHtvLJ8P4obn6NRxs9MWfXOhDrzgOBKjH6sOV1LtNLdFAM1bhvmFXvhFWDCjcGzrtdV77Aj4tmBdiUmUaHvlKtcf.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>> Use of these powers for 'selfish reasons' creates attachments to minor parts of the world rather than to the ultimate and therefore is a step backwards on the path.

> I would be a lot happier if people avoided speaking generically about
> attachments and the like and give examples of what it means to
> backslide.

        I agree that this would be a useful discussion to have. I've attempted to supply some answers.

> Let say:
>
> a) I am a warrior of Telask with a sharp and shiny sword to go with
> it. One day I become exposed to a foreign ideal and say "Hmm. That's
> not bad". What happens?

	You are falling under the allure of the antigods, of course. But if mystic magic isn't usually notable compared to other forms of magic, then falling of the correct mystic path isn't going to make that much difference either.
	Simply adopting foreign ideas that reject the mystic alone, especially if your primary magic is clearly not mystic (and I have no definite sense of what primary form of magic Telask, or any other Vormain magic, is), shouldn't make much difference.
	Of course, the practical and social consequences of an acceptance of foreign ideas in a profoundly xenophobic culture are likely to be significant if known to othes, and for some forms of magic (especially theist) may be a big problem.

> b) I am a Sivoli Monk whose life is spartan. One day after a
> particularly traumatic personal crisis, I go on a bender involving
> hookers and blow. What happens?

        We know that the Sivolic path specifically accounts for this kind of problem, and have a standard solution. They have the "Strikers of Chains" who are spiritual backsliders, incorporated into a socially responsible organisation. Presumably the Tibetan Doebdo that you mentioned earlier might be analogous, using the powers they have acquired for worthy, but worldly, goals.

        It certainly doesn't sound as if they normally become antigod monsters.

        In fact, they might make exceptional player characters, as they have a good reason to leave the monastery and interact with the world, and they have the basis for an interesting personal narrative already.

>> However, for a 'failed mystic' such as Sheng Seleris, who was just a slight step away from the ultimate, these powers are great enough to be able to bind all but the greatest of gods, and spirits.

> I think focussing on Sheng Seleris or Oorsu Sara is a wrong approach
> because there are only two examples throughout myth and history.
	Absolutely.
	We have more examples of mystics who fall along the path to liberation, though at not quite as accomplished  a level. - Herespur, for example, seems to be something similar. MaoTzen/ShangHsa. They are terrible warnings. But they are once in an age occurrences, not the standard model.

	These guys are important narratively, but this is very rare.

	Even at a far lower level - those who fall from the mystic path at a much inferior level of accomplishment, with powers sufficient only to threaten entire towns or cities - they are both rare, and of narrative significance. That is, most of the time there are probably none or very few around,  but if there is one such active near where your PCs are, your PCs will meet them, and the Emperor will know of it.
	Regards

		David