Re: Sorcery not malkioni ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:19:45 +1300

On 2/25/2013 5:33 AM, jorganos wrote:
>> Consider the Four Arrows of Light.  These were terrible revelations
>> of the Lunar mysteries that astounded the Carmanian men and gods.
>> Yet Lunar magicians can cast them as glamours without any need for
>> mystical magic rules.

> Touche - in that I don't consider any of the four arrows as mystical manifestations, but rather more or less impressive magical feats.

Again I don't see the need for deciding whether or not some impressive magic does not have a mystical truth behind it. Humakt's Sever Spirit conveys a pretty potent mystical truth, I'd say, but is still divine magic all the same.

> I'm not aware of a similar massed reaction [to mystical phenomena - PHM] at Four Arrows of Light.

I think that is because the arrows were primarily sent against the Carmanian Gods rather than the Carmanian mortals as said in the text.

> The rulers of the EWF like (Isgang)Drang, Lorenkargatan or Sun Dragon appear to have followed mystical practices before being able to manifest themselves in dragon shape, but the common view among scholars seems to be that they were failed mystics on the draconic path, and failures to a much greater extent than Ingolf.

What scholars were these?

> This means, they settled for a considerable amount of exotic, draconic flavor magic rather than completing their mystical journey, and on top of that they used the magical energies of the pyramid scheme that was the EWF to enhance their personal powers.
The EWF was not a pyramid scheme. It did not exhibit any features of a pyramid scheme and was no more fraudulent than Kralorela. The cause of the unrest was the disparity between those who had been in the EWF at the beginning and those who had newly joined. But in a pyramid scheme those who had newly joined won't be trouble by such a disparity because they believe the money will be coming in anyway. It is when the money stops coming in that pyramid scheme collapses whereas with the EWF, it was betrayed by the Dragonewts.

--Peter Metcalfe