Re: Hero Wars diplomacy

From: Keith <keith.nellist_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 07:59:29 -0000

Bryan is right about needing to split powers to make the game dynamic.

The answer I came up with for "Diplomacy in the Sixth Wane" was to forget about armies and navies and have the units as Nobles and Assassins (aka Dart Warriors or Heroes). Nobles couldn't occupy Wilderness and Assassins couldn't occupy Civilisation, with areas defined as one of the other.

For Dragon Pass Diplomacy I haven't got an answer yet and the only thing that occurs to me is to split between Magicians and Normal Units, but I am not so clear on how to split the terrain into different categories.

> As for factions, I'd be inclined perhaps to use:
>
> - Esrolia
> - Heortland
> - Sartar
> - Grazers
> - Alda-Chur (stretching a bit for that one)
> - Kingdome of Tarsh
> - Imperial Army
>
> With neutral spots for the Telmori, Pavis, Muse Roost, the shaker temple, city of 10k magicians... possibly for certain chaos nests, with special rules applied to that?

This makes the theatre of war much larger than I was imagining. Personally, I think I'd want to do the Holy Country as a seperate Diplomacy game Esrolia, Caladraland, Heortland, Godforgot, the Islands, Shadow Plateau, maybe the Wolf Pirates.

My personal preference was to minimise special rules for things like Chaos nests.

> I prefer to think of the shaker temple as a neutral dot, given its central location, and difficulty in assigning it multiple starting supply centres....although the same argument could be made about Alda Chur. Could replace it with praxian nomads?

I'm not sure I follow your argument on multiple supply centres for the Shaker temple. The Shaker Temple could be one, Wintertop another, and maybe Iristhold as a third.

Keith