Re: How to read King of Sartar?

From: David Cake <dave_at_oZsbfJWf16LF4bXLki72O7a8HgzjjeyEkm9JLx_waZKAqy-oKGseWkeXYSF_EpYVqm_psyW>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:09:39 +1100

On 10/03/2013, at 12:21 PM, michaelL <michaelalewis25_at_VC3KaF-Y46U5IhsqaGdo9WxpCQl56bmdEKhtXYwLGW5EisgFAM0FkFd0wJ1124fXFMzj9W7fPcc6BCz0I6nojiTQoQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>> If time to prepare your campaign is precious then I suspect that this is not the book for you. I am starting the Sartar Campaign for my boys, and plan to mine the Sartar Companion for introductory scenarios first. I've just run Return to Apple Lane (also available at http://moondesignpublications.com/page/return-apple-lane ).

> Thanks; will do.

        I agree the Sartar Companion is a much more useful book.

>> King of Sartar can be a fun book to read as long as you can accept its premise: it is an an assembly of fragments put together by an archaeologist. These fragments have different authors, each with their own agenda, including some who are trying to rewrite history to cover up the lack of legitimacy of a current ruler.

> Thanks. I had no idea. I think I'll skip it.

        Well, I'd certainly put it lower down the priority list than the Sartar Companion.

>> If you have a bit more time on your hands and/or you enjoy approaching Glorantha from a literary point of view, KoS has lots to offer. Myths and history to inspire heroquests and 'future history' to inspire plots and more. And more. And more!

> I want to get some info about myths,history, and heroquests. What are some good sources? Internet?

        Actually, King of Sartar is still probably the best source for specifically Sartar history. And one of the better sources for Orlanthi myth, with an interesting range of myths that might prove useful to you.

        Rather than avoid the book entirely, I'd say use it, but pick and choose from its contents. The Composite History of Dragon Pass section might be just what you are looking for, more focussed on Sartar than the Heortling History book. The majority of Orlanthi myth from King of Sartar (possibly all of it) is also in The Book of Heortling Mythology, so that is the better source, but if you have King of Sartar there is nothing wrong with the material there.

        But other parts of King of Sartar might be more confusing than directly useful, especially Argraths Saga and much of the Argrath book.

Cheers

	David