Re: How to read King of Sartar?

From: Charles <charles_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 02:09:49 -0000

Advertising hat on (I'm the webmaster for Moon Design Publications) Mythology: http://moondesignpublications.com/product/book-heortling-mythology

History: http://moondesignpublications.com/product/history-heortling-peoples

Note that both of these are from the Stafford library, so don't expect the same high quality of editing and layout that you see in Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes.

Heroquests: the above books give the story as it is told by someone in Glorantha. There are many other variants that have the same general drift but wildly different details. Many heroquesters (in Glorantha) spend time researching the different stories to get themselves the edge that they need to solve the problem that they have. So you can modify these stories to make the basis of your own quests.

To be more explicit: a heroquest is a story, just like a scenario. It just happens to be more magical than a typical story. Gloranthans heroquest to solve problems, using myths as the basis of their approach and actions. The problem can be cosmic (we must perform the Sacred Time rituals so that the world does not dissolve into chaotic goo), community oriented (success at this heroquest will give us better cows), enemy driven (how do we stop those broos?) or personal (I want this cool power for my weapon). A Gloranthan faced with an issue like this will choose a myth where their gods solved a similar problem, and consult with their community to see if there are more appropriate myths. Then, with the support of their community, which could be as small as the group of PCs or as large as an entire nation, they will magically re-enact the myth.

regards,
Charles