Re: Praxian tribal campaign

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:13:00 -0000

David, replying to Peter:
> I agree with Peter up to "What remains is the ancient and
> exotic magics of the Giants which have filled the local
> Other Side with an alien landscape." I don't believe it's
> an alien landscape to the Praxians. It's what they know best,
> as Waha knotted it into their mythology and stories. It may
> work differently to the rest of Glorantha, but that is the
> nature of the Wastelands.

How strange that I'm going to be the moderate. I think the truth is between these two points and probably implied by both.

The Praxians' mythology explains some of what they see on the Other Side. But Waha was naturally very focused on survival. He did not attempt world-explaining feats of deep wisdom. He made the Survival Tricks. If he tied his own stories and magics onto something left from the Green Age, he did so because it worked and accomplished his goals. That means that, at those points, his mythology has explanatory power -- at least by way of analogy, metaphor, and allegory. (I should empahsize that. I think that many entities of which Praxians "know" are not "truly" what Praxians' "know" them to be. But their knowledge works, which is good enough.)

But away from those things that Waha found useful, the Praxian will be lost very quickly. This is why knowledge of the trails is so important in both the physical world and the other side.

These are the safer ways. These are the paths we know. Stray from them at your peril.

Chris