Re: Praxian tribal campaign

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:47:21 +0800

On 15/03/2013, at 6:06 PM, David Scott <sciencefish_at_...> wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2013, at 07:52, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:
>

>> On 3/15/2013 3:47 PM, Chris Lemens wrote:
>>
>> 1) The Broken Mythology of Prax
>>
>> Although I see what Chris is getting at, I'm not sure that broken or fairy tales are the right description. The Heortlings and Dara Happans are fairly unusual in surving the Great Darkness the way they did compared to other societies (the Talastari or the Galanini).
>>
>> I think the Praxian mythical landscape is pretty conventional. They have myths about how such and such came to be and can see those places on the
>> Other Side. It's only when they get into the Wastelands that things become strange and weird. Any connections with the Golden and Storm Ages are gone, destroyed by chaos. What remains is the ancient and exotic magics of the Giants which have filled the local Other Side with an alien landscape.
>
> I agree with Peter up to "What remains is the ancient and exotic magics of the Giants which have filled the local Other Side with
> an alien landscape." I don't believe it's an alien landscape to the Praxians. It's what they know best, as Waha knotted it into their mythology and stories. It may work differently to the rest of Glorantha, but that is the nature of the Wastelands.

	The notable thing is that it is magically alien - the landscape is connected to various magical beings (Genert, Tada, Yamsur, etc) who are gone, dead, or uncontactable, and almost entirely outside not just the primary Praxian traditions (Waha, Eiritha, Storm Bull, etc) but largely disconnected to even most of the minor traditions. Many of the most magical aspects of the landscape are fairly alien magics to the Praxians.
	This is quite different to the Heortlings, the Solars, the Pelandans, etc. Even the Westerners who settled their lands only recently, and have magics that are not truly native to their lands, have been able to contact and deal with the native magical forces of the Golden Age (eg the Seshnelans dealing with the native earth deities, etc) more effectively than the Praxians.
	Cheers
		David