Re: Praxian tribal campaign

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:22:31 -0000

David Cake <dave_at_...> wrote:

> The notable thing is that it is magically alien - the landscape is connected to various magical beings (Genert, Tada, Yamsur, etc) who are gone, dead, or uncontactable, and almost entirely outside not just the primary Praxian traditions (Waha, Eiritha, Storm Bull, etc) but largely disconnected to even most of the minor traditions. Many of the most magical aspects of the landscape are fairly alien magics to the Praxians.
> This is quite different to the Heortlings, the Solars, the Pelandans, etc. Even the Westerners who settled their lands only recently, and have magics that are not truly native to their lands, have been able to contact and deal with the native magical forces of the Golden Age (eg the Seshnelans dealing with the native earth deities, etc) more effectively than the Praxians.

But doesn't this just describe the dilemma of any nomadic group passing through territory that also is occupied by stationary magic/cultures?

The Heortlings practice transhumance rather than a fully nomadic life, giving them strong ties to both their summer and their winter habitats. (This makes me wonder once again about the nature of Vingkot's two wives, and the connection of the Summer Wife to Tada.) The Orlanthi treat anyone entering their range as a potential guest to their place - claiming the place as their own in the process. That's a significant factor in uttering the greeting in the resident role - identification with the land and its powers as their campsite. The nomads enter all lands as guests - guests with an unlimited right for their herds to graze there, but nevertheless not binding themselves to the place, but to their herds.

Waha is different from the usual nomadic culture by bothering to change the land rather than use it or move on. Digging the canal is something you would usually expect from Tada or other giants, and definitely not from one of the Founders or granddaddy Storm Bull himself.

Hmm... This almost makes me wonder whether Waha was an aspect of the death that forced Eiritha underground. He penetrates the sleeping shape of the goddess and emerges changed, with the covenant of the eaters and the eaten.