Re: My Theory on the Father of Independents.

From: Glass <glass_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:18:10 -0000

Oh you guys. But I love Peter's original FOI Hypothesis. It opens up Prax from a different direction, respects modern understanding and provides answers to long-dangling questions.

Who "again captured" this guy and got him the job at the Dead Place? God Learners! Excellent theory. They had the magic and plenty of opportunity back in the Feroda days if not before and experimentation and access to a Unique Mystery of Glorantha probably counts as good enough motive.

But so here's a thing. According to FOI, the recapture "returned" him to Prax. This may be a lie or glitch in the way he was inserted into the local mythic economy. If so, it tells us something about the methods of the GL who imported him. And if it's true, it also reveals something about their methods and steers us back into deep Prax time.

We also don't have the Independents' side of the story, which while flattering to them is still a Great Tribes story. Probably most of them would agree they don't know this guy. But until the rhinos and bolos and baboons (!) chime in, there's always the chance they know something they aren't telling.

Either way, it establishes a small historical discontinuity. We can contact a guy at the Dead Place who wasn't there before. Things have changed. It's not all the same static set of religious and social relationships since the dawn. Their story is evolving. That's what got me revved up in the first place.

For example, I love this notion (I think it's Chris's, originally?) that the Great Rhino Bundle ended up sabotaging the rhinos because "every man a khan" was more trouble than it was worth. That happened Since Time. We can point to rhino religion before that point and rhino religion after. Rhino religion "before" differed in key ways. Now their relationship to Waha is different because they can all trace descent.