Re: Dara Happans and Time

From: drscience3000 <dr.dave.00_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 06:34:04 -0000

Well, I think Peter makes it clear that many have some sort measure of time before the darkness. That is what I was unclear about. Thanks. The Dara Happan stuff makes more sense.

Some thoughts of mine; There does have to be something that orders events (the most basic definition of time). The myths are all full of gods and men doing something because something happened or doing something and having a result. I had wondered if this wasn't something the hero imposed on the world locally. But Peter's examples showed it goes at least beyond the individual to at least a culture.

So, while time may be "different" before the compromise, I think there has to be, as some other comment talked about "causal" time. I think maybe time is still "local" to the culture and myth? Or, as jorganos put it, "the very act (or ritual) of measuring time within the mythic eras created a measurable series of events." So the Dara Happan have a chronology because they needed and created one. Events occur in a hero's quest because they are necessary for the hero to struggle and prevail. But there is no broader "time". Event that occur in separate myths and cultures don't have to correlate.