Re: Dara Happans and Time

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:08:19 -0000

When it comes to keeping time prior to the Dawn, Zzabur's turning of the sands of time and the Mostali work shift count probably are the most reliable repeated actions that define a concept of time intervals.

What is hard to define in the pre-dawn is the concept of days - when there was a sun in the sky, it was more or less high in the sky, regardless whether it was called Antirius, Elmal, or Yelm. It grew weaker and sank lower, but it never set (neither in Orlanthi nor in Dara Happan myth).

The Starseers could define a day as the full cycle of the rotation of the Heavens. I suppose this was at the core of the Dara Happan court rituals. There would have been many more prominent celestial bodies in both the Golden Age and the Storm Age, with losses incurred due to the Chaos invasion of the skies.

Even assuming an ordered sequence of events and a frame of time in the Gods Age, there was a loss of cohesion and order when Chaos annihilated so much of that structure that we are left with loose tatters. In many regards, Gloranthan history is a book full of holes and missing pages, and I am fairly certain that there are many instances where a Gloranthan myth is cobbled together from four or five fragments that originally had different context.