Re: Dara Happans and Time

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 00:20:48 +1200

On 4/27/2013 8:52 PM, jorganos wrote:

> I'm not sure whether Orlanthi questers experience night when travelling through the Storm Age. Day or night are irrelevant to the journey between story nodes.

What are these 'story nodes' that you speak of?

Looking at the myth of Humakt the Champion (Book of Heortling Mythology p34), Humakt fights against Orlanth for many days and nights. I strongly doubt that either the Humakti or the Orlanthi would consider the passage of days and nights to be irrelevant to the myth.

> In recollection of the events, perhaps. The human questers will (probably collectively) add all those things they expect in a landscape and on a journey, much like our brain completes the image of the blind spot in the center our retina where the visual nerve displaces receptor cells.

If everybody sees them, how do you know that they weren't there to begin with? What does it give us that days and nights were not present in the mythical ages?

> A deity can be in multiple places. Yelm can appear at Ersorianen without leaving the Throne Room. Everywhere his rays can go, Yelm can be manifest.

So what's the problem then? Why the need for solemn declamations that such a thing cannot be? All it does is create a shackle for no purpose.

> My point about Yelm's immobility is this - in the Gods Age and in the Storm Age, there is just one place for the sun to be, and that is overhead.

Not so. In the early Golden Age, Yelm is in the Sky which lay close to the ground. Look at the Hunter Tales in the Entekosiad (p70) "[Arakang] built his lodge upon the ground, but now it is in the sky. [...] Sky and Earth worlds had not been seperated [...] When the Sky was raised King Bear's lodge went up with it."

In the late Golden Age, Yelm is in the Sky but he still can move freely within there.

In the Storm and subsequent ages, Yelm is dead. As for Elmal, "In the Darkness, Elmal often had to leave to take the torch gift to distant steads. Whenever he did this he left Rigsdal to watch." Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes p153.

> There is no walking around for the Imperial Sun.

Eppur Yelm muove. Please avoid making categorical statements that go well beyond what the source material actually says.

> Sunset is a singular (and world-shattering) event, sunrise did not happen in the myths.

Yelm's death and descent into the Underworld is the singular and world-shattering event, not the Sunset. What's to stop Yelm before from setting in the west, then going behind the Sky Dome and then reappearing in the east? And why does Yelm reappear in the east at the First Dawn when Orlanth comes out of Magasta's Pool at the beginning of Sea Season?

> We know that the Darkness Age brought the Night into the Sky.

So why was Night an important Old God *before* the Emperor was killed? Why are there mentions of nights in the Golden Age? Even the Doraddi have a myth about Dama the Night being one of the original gods of the cosmos (he is present in the Naming, Revealed Mythologies p32).

--Peter Metcalfe