Re : [WorldofGlorantha] Re: Malkioni Heroquesting

From: hcarteau_at_...
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:17:17 +0200 (CEST)

This discussion is indeed fascinating. I yearn to discover more, I'd really like to throw my players in a Malkioni Quest.

Do Malkioni heroquests still focus on the gods rather than the likes of Hrestol and Rokar? /// Depends on which malkioni, I'd say. I see the Idealist and Rokari Sects as very organized, with validated "lists of accepted Quests" (which they call something else maybe, such as "Holy Pilgrimage"). But I'd say anything goes for smaller sects, particularly the henotheists. Of course, some fringe rokari/idealists can go overboard and try Forbidden Stuff.

Do they basically act as "themselves" while on a heroquest, even as they take on a mythical role (as in the example with Seshna Likita -even if you are acting on your own, you still are following an ancient hero's footsteps)? /// That's a crucial Question to me. I'd say - gut feeling - that, Logic being what counts, you don't usurp some other identity, you go as yourself, a mortal. You remain conscious of your place in the Cosmos. It's blasphemy to pretend to be an Ascended Master, but you can emulate best as you can. It's pagan idolatry to pretend to be a "god" or "great spirit". Perhaps the rules are different for Hrestoli trying to become "Man of All", since it's all about breaking barriers and useless rules. Perhaps a wannabe Man of All CAN try to incarnate Hrestol. And go mad in 95% of cases.

Is Malkioni heroquesting more versatile than that of theists? /// Yes... and No.
Yes, for you can use Logic (Wizardry) to dominate all Otherworlds, any entity. No, for you cannot quest outside your Sect, and only zzaburi will take you along if you're a member in good standing (or if they desesperatly need your skills). In fact, I think only Zzaburi, in charge of the "Energetic Well-Being of the People", can start a Quest. Unless other castes have their own rituals ?

> Malkioni Heroquesting is objective not subjective. The starting place to understand them is the Xeotam Dialogues, you aren't being one of the gods - you are interacting with them to impose your will on the world.
/// Fine and well, I understand how malks can / should interact with Other Powers. But are there "purely" malkioni Quests - based on Malkioni religion, without any pagan gods showing up except as ennemy ? Can a Horal invoke the "Hrestol kills Basmol" Quest to help his community fight off barbarians ? I see such Quests as a search for Knowledge, for better Logic, rather than personal added power. Of course, rule-wise, it's the same (+6 to whatever Power you want to develop). Or am I wrong ?