Re: Sky ship

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_...>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 13:24:33 -0000

spzcpl:
> In various books and recently in the guide of glorantha, I have read
> something I cannot explain about what happen to return the sky ship,
> so I ask for your help

Have you read "Sartar Rising - Gathering Thunder"? It covers the Shipraising in some detail.

> In the guide it is written :
> "simultaneously work to raise the sky ship" :

> why returning this planet ?

Maybe because they can.

Restoring the Boat Planet means that ships can cross the Seas and the Closing ends. In fact, the Closing was probably caused by crashing the Boat Planet. Maybe they are trying to reverse the effects of the Closing.

It is hard to get into the Sky, so Orlanth HeroQuestors wanting to reach Orlanth's Ring need a physical way of doing so, and the Shipraising is a good way of doing this.

> why 1624 and not before ?

That's a tricky one.

In my current campaign, it's because the River Voices are about to stumble on the Boat Planet in Hell and will be instrumental in its return. That isn't canonical Glorantha, though.

I think 1624 is important because the Cradle came down a few years earlier. That might have kick-started something.

However, it is most probable that the Orlanthi needed to hop aboard to reach the Sky, and 1624 was a good time to do it.

> How simultaneously ?

Several groups of HeroQuestors wanted to raise the Ship Planet.

Dormal HeroQuestors may have found Dormal and want him to be the Helmsman for the Ship Planet.

Dara Happans may want the Ship Planet restored as part of their cosmology.

Orlanthi HeroQuestors try and raise the Ship Planet to get to the Sky in order to reach Orlanth's Ring.

> "opposed by many powerful lunar magicians" : why the lunar work against this project ?

Honestly, I don't know.

Maybe because the Orlanthi are involved.

Maybe because they don't want the skies changed.

Maybe they don't want the Oceans Opened, but I can't think why as anyone who wants to travel can do so, thanks to Dormal.

What I think is interesting is what happens afterwards.

The Closing ends and boats can cross the seas without invoking Dormal's magic.

What about the Terrors who currently enforce the Closing? What happens to them no0w that they haven't any more power? I think that a lot of them go on the rampage and attack ships and coastal cities, thus making the oceans a more dangerous place.

The Waertagi Dragonships return and have an agenda of their own.

The Firebergs return, maybe with a purpose.

The trolls can try and block Magasta's pool with their huge iceberg, but I'm not sure what they want to achieve except for drying out Hell.

Harrek and the Wolf Pirates are free to attack the Lunar Empire and establish their own kingdoms.