Re: Enrovalini Colors

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 01:53:46 +0800

On 08/05/2013, at 2:10 PM, Jeff <richaje_at_...> wrote:

>> the colors of the original castes are the same as caste Vadeli?

> Yes.
>
>> This seems strange to me saw the colors of the vadelis:
>> The dromalis are brown like shit.

> No, like earth or soil. BTW, the Brown Vadeli are not coprophagic, despite the Tradetalk article.

        The coprophagic inclinations of the Brown Vadeli are surely a slander told about them by enemies within Glorantha, even if it isn't true (or at least, not true of the majority).

>> Horali red as blood.

> Or like the war planet.

        The redness of the war planet, of course, may well be related to the colour of blood.

>> Blue Zzaburi as corpse

> Or like the zzaburi.

The mythic significance of the blueness of the zzaburi is a good question (and a point made thoroughly confusing in the Entekosiad, where several of the various types of mythic blue people seem to have gotten together for a party)

>> Talari yellow as (I do not know why urine?)

> Golden-yellow is the color of rule. Like Yelm.
>
>> Dromali brown as the Earth (down without the right to kill, illiterate)

> Brown Vadeli are usually literate.

        And the Brown Vadeli have presumably, of necessity, learnt to perform many of the tasks performed by the other castes in their absence, albeit not as well and often by different means (for example, Brown Vadeli seem inclined to use monstrous trained animals as a substitute for engaging in hand to hand combat themselves).

>> Horali red as the Heat (down with the right to kill, illiterate, slightly higher than Dromali)

> Red Vadeli are often literate. Red is a war-like color.

        I always figured that pretty much all Vadeli, regardless of caste, are likely to be literate and usually expert magicians. The Blue Vadeli are, of course, better at magic, and capable of a much wider range of effects, but the others capable of casting sorcery that enhances their caste role.

        The Vadeli have a very different attitude to caste roles than the Brithini. They have no moral or ethical feelings about keeping to their caste roles (or anything else, really), they are just interested in outcomes.

	Cheers
		David