Re: "Outcaste" in Malkioni (Or others caste systems in Glorantha)

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 12:01:13 -0000

> Is it to outcastes in the Malkioni civilization?

I don't think that there are caste-less Malkioni. IMO they do make a differentiation between a fully accepted member of the peasant caste and rightless serfs that are peasant caste, but not accorded adult citizen rights. In Loskalm, you have to graduate as a peasant, too. In Seshnela, there will be some peasants who have quite a lot of rights and many who don't.

> The strangers of course, but what is the fate of an illegitimate child? (and if his parents did not come from the same caste?)

Define an illegitimate child... My guess is that any male child belongs to the caste the mother's husband or the mother's father belongs to, regardless who was the biological progenitor (with the possible exception of wizards breeding for baby wizards).

> Is a criminal can lose his caste? What about their children?

A criminal can be outlawed or imprisoned, but IMO will be treated according to caste. In case of imprisonment, that can be detrimental to a higher caste criminal, with harsher punishments inflicted.

The children will lose all the advantages of the former position of their criminal parent, but they won't lose their caste. Being overseer in the lowest levels of some salt mines or in charge of keeping the sewers free still is a high caste office, after all, just not prestigious.

> The outcastes are hunted or they could stay to take menial tasks for good and pious dromalis? (Some malkionis sects treat as barbarians enslaved, I think people?)

Malkioni ports will have regulations for foreigners and other husbandry. I don't think that these apply to Malkioni.

Merchants and scribes belong to the talar caste, IIRC, whereas successful craftspeople are peasant caste by definition, even if they have enough wealth to finance a local minor noble.

> I suspect that as usual (The Malkionis give a good idea of ​​how a wave dogma may be interpreted in different ways) the answers will vary according to the different kingdoms malkionis. (or similar: such as zzaburi, brithini, vadeli ...)

Safelster is a problematic place, because there are so many non-Malkioni citizens. Maniria or Jonatela are easier, because the local tribesfolk aren't integrated into urban or regular malkioni life, or are downtrodden serfs anyway. Serfs are peasant caste, but many live their life without being full members of that caste. Non-Malkioni peasants are always not-quite persons of the peasant caste. Full peasant caste Malkioni are common among the guildspeople in cities and among the more affluent farmers, these are the ones that get ritual representation for their caste, too.