Re: Arkat and troll illumination

From: Charles <charles_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 01:33:29 -0000

Hi,

this is fairly deep...

The Dara Happans and Aldryami were particularly influential in the creation and birth of Nysalor. His Bright Empire covered much of Central Genertela and so Nysalor's "Illumination" became the most widely known name for "mystical transcendence" in Central and Western Genertela.

However, there are many other approaches to mystical transcendence. In Kralorela, they say their approach is Draconic (this naming is disputed by the dragonnewts of Dragon Pass). At Old Wind Temple in Dragon Pass, Orlanthi mystics practice breathing. Yelmalion mystics, retired priest who are walled into roofless towers, possibly become "Illuminated" without the Chaotic aspect of Nysalorean Illumination. This is very much open to dispute ;-)

I believe that there are approaches to mystical transcendence through all of the elemental runes and through at least some of the other runes (Mastery for example).

Arkat achieved mystical transcendence, probably through Illumination. His transcendence seems to have been more complete than any of the followers of Nysalor / Gbaji, which "likely" led to Arkat understanding how to teach other approaches. For the trolls/Uz, this could have been through Heat, through Darkness or through Law.

My preferred story of Arkat and the Uz is that he taught them through Law (possibly dressed up as anti-chaos), because all trolls taught by Arkat and their descendants were sorcery using.

My analysis above is very 'technical'. In the upcoming Guide to Glorantha, there are some first person stories describing Nysalor and Arkat and the trolls. These should better help your understanding.

regards,
Charles