Re: Lanbril and Veskerele

From: metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 10:43:55 +1200

 Andrew Larsen

 So a relatively recent text or two seem to say that Lanbril and Veskerele are two names for the same god. This sort of puzzles me.

The sources are a Gregly statement in the introduction of Unspoken Word Magazine #2 and the Imperial Lunar Handbook (which seems to be based on what Greg said in the Unspoken Word Magazine).  However I've never been all that convinced.  There's nothing in the Entekosiad or the Glorious ReAscent that indicates Veskerele as having any association with theft.  All he is is the son of Lodril/Turos and Annara Gor and keeps the Second Hell.  I think the story is that Greg had another God in mind and wrote Veskerele by mistake.  As for ILH, many of its cult writeups are less than convincing so I wouldn't worry about them.
3) Lanbril is entirely a thief god, whereas Veskerele has an underworld connection (lord of the second hell, lord of the land of bones, keeper of souls).

The Lord of the Land of Bones is Deshlotralas (Deep Lodril) and the Keeper of Souls is Jajagappa.  At best, Veskerele seems to epitomize the loss of individuality as a person dies and receives worship as a Cult of the Many (ie those who seek communion with the forces of the underworld rather than the heavenly powers).
 One of the reasons I'm thinking about this is that I'm contemplating
running a game set in Dara Happa focusing on thieves (my players love thief characters). Having all the PCs be worshippers of the same god is a little boring, whereas if Veskerele and Lanbril are different gods, there's a little more room for variety.

A better thief deity would be Mahaquata who blinded Murharzarm when he was murdered by others.  Also associated with the Blue Moon so that gives the thieves a religious motive for taking things that do not belong to them as well as a dim shadowry crime organization headed by the Emperor's cousin.  And if they stuff things up, they will have never existed.

Another is Daak, a face of Orlanth, who assaulted the goddess Dendara and stole something precious.  He's more like a god of Bandits and Brigands than somebody who hides in shadows and picks pockets.

Another possibility is Vorgetala.  While her six sisters give various blessings on mankind (Milk, Cows, Pigs etc), she gives nothing at all.  Her worshippers might be religiously motivated thieves who have to steal in order the fuel the blessings of the other finger goddesses.   The Lunars tolerate her worship (but nobody else does) because the Finger Goddesses are precursor Lunar deities.

Lastly, the most notorious criminal organization would have to be the tax collectors.   I imagine their worshippers are pretty heterogenous with followers of Krarsht, Buserian and Lokarnos all being very prominent.

--Peter Metcalfe