Lanbril and Veskerele

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 13:18:35 -0500

So a relatively recent text or two seem to say that Lanbril and Veskerele are two names for the same god. This sort of puzzles me.

Similarities between the two:

1) Both are thief gods.
2) Both have something to do with faces--Lanbril has the 'Face of Lanbril' spell/trick while Veskerele is the Faceless One. Perhaps both have illusion magic that changes faces.
3) Both operate in tight groups--Lanbril rings, Veskerele Leagues

That's about it, as far as I can see.

Differences between the two:

1) Different names, but that's pretty small.
2) Ancestry--Lanbril is descended from Grandfather Mortal, while Veskerele is descended from Lodril/Turos.
3) Lanbril is entirely a thief god, whereas Veskerele has an underworld connection (lord of the second hell, lord of the land of bones, keeper of souls).
4) Veskerele is mentioned on the God's Wall, which seems to suggest that he's a fairly big deal (not all the figures on the GW are super-important, but it seems to suggest that he has a place in the cosmos, whereas Lanbril seems to have snuck in and carved out his own little niche).
5) Overall, Veskerele seems to be a much 'bigger' god than Lanbril.  Having your own hell and keeping souls just seems to be a higher stature function that helping people steal stuff

So what do people think about this? Does the identification of Veskerele with Lanbril really make sense?

One of the reasons I'm thinking about this is that I'm contemplating running a game set in Dara Happa focusing on thieves (my players love thief characters). Having all the PCs be worshippers of the same god is a little boring, whereas if Veskerele and Lanbril are different gods, there's a little more room for variety.

If Veskerele is a separate god, what are his runes? Illusion would seem to make sense, but what's the other? Darkness? Earth--from Lodril? (doesn't seem very thievish) It would be nice to give him something other than Disorder, so he doesn't duplicate Lanbril.

Andrew E. Larsen