Re: Lunar Chaos Figthing Cult

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 20:38:24 +1200

On 7/13/2013 9:35 AM, drscience3000 wrote:

> Well, we found Irin useful against the Thanatari and Dorastor. We
> could have used other tools. The one thing that would have been hard
> to do without is some sort of detect chaos. But on the Lunar side what
> you really need is not detecting any chaos (though that is better than
> nothing) but detecting "not OK" chaos, whether you based that on it
> being unhealed, or it being from one of the chaos cults, or whatever.

The trouble from my PoV is that things that are useful to the players aren't necessarily things that a deity might provide or even want to provide. Otherwise we'll end up with the extreme of the RQ2 Lanbril cult which has loads of things that are useful but do not make much sense in terms of a believable cult. Given that of all the Orlanthi cults, only Urox has any sense of sensing chaos makes me think that magical means of detecting chaos must be similarly vague at best.

That said, Thanatar is hardly a subtle cult. If he has heads on his belt, then you don't need a Storm Bully to know he's bad. Atyar is more subtle but if the scholar is eating scrolls rather than reading them or has drooling vegetables in the cellar, he's bad.

--Peter Metcalfe