Re: Lunar Chaos Figthing Cult

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 21:03:54 +1200

On 7/9/2013 5:12 PM, David Cake wrote:

> I agree with Peter that "It's evil, kill it" is a very long way from either what the Lunar Way demands, or what Lunar chaos fighters would really need. I suspect Lunar anti-Chaos efforts are headed by experienced Illuminates, Examiners and such, and emphasise the judgement to know when to accept it as the Lunar way demands, and when to mercilessly destroy it as too dangerous. And the even finer judgement needed to find the line between the dark and light side of Illumination, a line often only drawn in the heart - and perhaps a line sometimes less relevant than usefulness to the state.

I don't think the Lunars have any specialized antichaotic organizations as their regular organizations (Lunar Army, Lunar Magicians) are sufficiently skilled to handle most horrors (and the ones they can't handle generaly stay in the Print, Dorastor and Snakepipe Hollow).

If I were to make up a Lunar Cult dedicated to opposing chaos then the result would not be a cult that destroys chaotic activity but adjusts it so that it is at peace with its surroundings. For instance, a Broo tribe would still be there not it is no longer raping your livestock and spreading disease although other aspects of their culture (disgusting sexual acitivities, blatant chaotic activity) would continue unabated. Whether their conservative neighbours will be any happier is something else as they would not be in the business of missionary outreach.

>> Careful now, Thanatar isn't bad because it is chaotic. Thanatar is bad because it is an *Orlanthi* custom.
> Atyar originates in the East,

At the hands of Lhankor Mhy and a priest of Lhankor Mhy IIRC.

> though the Than half of the cult is of course of Orlanthi origin, and it seems pretty clear that the 'reuniting' of the cults occurred in Orlanthi lands in the First Age. I'm sure the Lunars don't give 'pure' Atyar followers a pass on the mind eating just because they aren't too Orlanthi, though.

The Mind Eating was only the most difficult of Atyari magics. Lesser magics such as devouring scrolls should be morally acceptable on the grounds that no harm was done to any sentient.

> But it doesn't really matter where it comes from. Both head taking and mind eating are prima facie ethically nasty, no matter where the practices came from, being both fancy ways of murdering.

I don't see how head taking is an absolute wrong. Orlanth took the head of Sh'hakazeel and very few Orlanthi see that as a morally wrong act. It is morally wrong to take the head of an innocent victim but what if the victim was a) a powerful soldier or priest intent on despoiling your lands b) a particularly loathsome criminal or c) taking heads was a funerary custom ("it's the skull of me grandad. He's looking after me, he's is")?

--Peter Metcalfe