Re: Lunar Chaos Figthing Cult

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:48:35 +1200

On 7/20/2013 3:06 AM, Simon Phipp wrote:

> Malia is highly unusual in that she was one of the Unholy Trinity that created Wakboth the Devil. Thios makes her pretty chaotic, although she was possibly the midwife rather than the mother/father of the Devil.

The Unholy Trio myth (despite being reprinted in the Guide) strikes me as an Orlanthi "Just So" myth as to how Bad Things happened rather than an actual myth (one in which the Orlanthi actually see what is happening) of what happened. For starters, Wakboth appears in Orlanthi myth before his so-called birth and the Unholy Trio appears to be names given by the Orlanthi to the three prominent planets in the sky (which are elsewhere given different names - the Pamaltelans call them the three star witches). Another issue is the strong disconnect between the myth of Malia as a scheming plotter against the Cosmos and the embodiment of a natural force (how does one leave the conspiracy anyway? who can tell?)

--Peter Metcalfe