Re: Verithurus-Verithurusa

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:55:13 +0100

drscience3000 wrote:

> Verithurusa doesn't appear on the Gods wall, except there are hints
> that she is represented as the masculine version of her name,
> Verithurus. Now, the goddess can be represented in a masculine aspect,
> but this wouldn't seem to be the right aspect for that? But maybe the
> rationalization is simply that Dara Happan patriarchy needed that god
> to be male and carved him/her that way? Or maybe I'm wrong that they
> are some god?

Note that the picture on the Wall shows the deity as being of ambiguous/unclear gender (i.e. fully clothed, and having neither a beard nor obvious breasts). Plentonius assumes that all the deities fitting this description are male, but there's no reason to assume he's correct. I think the carving shows a young girl, and Plentonius has merely assumed it's a young boy, and used the masculine version of the name for theological reasons.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic