RE: Gustbran player and Third Eye Blue

From: blerg2_at_yahoo.com
Date: 22 Oct 2013 10:52:46 -0700

> One of my players is a Gustbran redsmith and on the next session they're going to visit Apple Lane.

       (skipping)

> One of the [NPCs] there is a Third Eye Blue smith and once he knowns what they can do I'm
> quite sure he'll try be very interested in him.

       (skipping)

> Something to keep in mind is that this player's clan is allied with the dwarves.

 You know, of course, that the fabled pre-Time Third Eye Blue kingdom was destroyed by the dwarfs. Now, whether such a place actually ever existed is an open question, but the 3EB people certainly believe that it did, so they are REALLY not going to like your redsmith, even if they weren't secretive in the first place.

 The best way for the players to deal with this is to publicly chase the redsmith away, once they reach Apple Lane, to get the 3EB character to aid the rest of the group. After they have their Iron Vrok (or whatever they can buy or con from 3EB) they can leave and the redsmith can rejoin the group. As this is the best way, expect that your players will do the exact opposite.

 Unless your group includes a Lanbril Hero, any attempts to steal the "secrets of iron" will be met with countermeasures honed over millennia of keeping their secrets without possessing any real power. They will be sneaky rather than violent, using politics and multiple false formulae to keep the redsmith from learning anything except to not try to steal from the Third Eye Blue people.