Re: Descriptions of the Runes

From: pomeroi_at_mailfass.de
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:24:40 +0100

On 26.11.2013 17:41, Phil Hibbs wrote:

> Do ebooks have markup for alternative text to read aloud? S,o when it
> came across a Mastery Rune, it could say "Mastery Rune" rather than
> reading out the letter that the runic typeface uses?

I don't know about ebooks, I suppose they could and should do it like they describe a picture (by just a caption perhaps). But markup is the right thing in general. in HTML for example, there are lots of so called entities that are not just letters, but can only be read by mouthing their name, like pound, asterisk, cent, greater than and so on. Look here: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

We could file a petition to the w3c, asking to add (gloranthan) runes to the set of entities ;-)

Zack, what are the tools of publisher who especially do this for blind people? Do they describe signs, icons, pictures?

Pomeroi