Re: Arkat and troll illumination

From: boztakang <daniel.mccluskey_at_apollogrp.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 06:47:25 -0000

Welcome! I assure you that your english is FAR superior to my Korean.

> In Gloranthan history, Arkat the troll defeated Nysalor, God of Light or
> Illumination.
> In Gloranthan myth, Zorak Zoran defeated Yelmalio, God of Light and
> robbed his power of heat(Hill of Gold myth?).
> In Lords of Terror suggested Arkat is illuminated.
>
> When based on this, I think Hill of Gold myth is partly metaphor of
> Arkat/Nysalor.

The parallels are interesting, but incomplete - both Yelmalio and Zorak Zoran survived the Hill of Gold. Only one being survived Arkat's final fight with the Deceiver. Yelmalio is beaten by Orlanth and Inora in addition to Zorak Zoran, while Arkat ultimately faced Gbaji on his own. Also, Arkat's entire career as a hero was pretty much defined by his opposition to Gbaji, while Yelmalio was just one of many enemies that Zorak Zoran defeated (and a relatively minor one, at that).

To make matters worse, I am not personally convinced that the trollish brain is susceptible to Illumination at all. I think their grounding in darkness and disorder protects them from being broken that way - or their fundamental simplicity prevents them from attaining that degree of "enlightened awareness." I suspect that resistance to illumination might have been part of why Arkat had to become a Troll to attain his victory - as a human, he could not have resisted Nysalor's corruption long enough to bring him to final battle.

For trolls, I think that "Mystical Insight" comes from Darkness. Subere is their goddess of "the unknowable" and "secrets mortals cannot comprehend." For trolls, the great transcendent mystery is the darkness untouched by light, from which everything that is, was or could yet become, emerges. Heat and Light are just enemy powers, not sources of secret wisdom.

Heat is the weaker enemy, as it can be controlled and made use of. It is dangerous and unpleasant, but not completely alien (though those that make use of it are strange and not to be trusted.) I think trolls view heat much the way humans view darkness - scary and bad, but sometimes useful. I don't think that trolls associate heat with any of the attributes that we would normally associate with Illumination - it is not transcendent or mystical, nor does it allow you to ignore cult restrictions, or fundamentally change your understanding of the universe. It's just unpleasantly not-cold.

Light, on the other hand is the great destructive harbinger of evil, dissolution, pain, and horror. Destroyer of Wonderhome, Defiler of Blessed Korasting. Light is always bad, wrong, and hurtful. Nothing good can come of it. Illumination is just an obvious and inevitable chaotic side-effect of enlightenment. A madness that afflicts those lesser races who were not fortunate enough to be born of the Great Kyger Litor.

> What do you think about this?

Though i do not happen to agree with your conclusion - I do appreciate the thought, and do not mean in any way to discourage such speculation. Ideas like this are a huge part of the fun of Glorantha, and YGWV trumps all in the end :-)